Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Clutter....worse than dirt.


Isn't that the truth? Clutter DOES like to breed. Seems that just when we get one area under control, another area has crept in and taken over.  That's why I tell my clients that a maintenance program is so important when it comes to staying ahead of the clutter in your home.  Just like a diet!  Once you lose the weight you gotta embrace the maintenance program or the pounds will creep back on.  Once you have purged that closet or rearranged those cabinets, or set up that new filing system, ya gotta put some boundaries around it to keep the clutter from creeping back in!

Here are a few things that I do to keep clutter under control in my world:

1. Spend 10 minutes every morning/evening putting things back where they belong.

2. Open the mail over the garbage can.

3. Use my shredder to keep paper management under control.

4. Go through my closet every 3 months and pull out what I am NOT EVER wearing.

5. Keep a "donate bag" in your closet or mudroom open and ready to fill at all times.

6. When I buy something new, the "one thing in...one thing out method" is put into action.

7. Clear all work spaces every day (including my desk, dining room table and kitchen counters).

8. Purge old food in my frig weekly to make room for more and to avoid salmonella.

9. Check spaces that are used often to see if they are filling up and need some relief.

10. Buy what I need, not necessarily what I want.  Avoid shopping when I'm hungry, angry, lonely and tired. I ALWAYS buy too much when my world seems hopeless.

Let's breath some new life into our clutter maintenance program and use this summer to get some control of the stuff that is controlling us. Your home deserves the attention, and you will find that you actually have more time on your hands when you are dealing with less clutter. More time to focus on the things that really matter.

Like going to the beach and reading that good book. Yes, that's where you will find me.

Cheers to a clutter free summer y'all!

Happy Organizing!
Kim B.




No comments:

Post a Comment